Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Saint Paul Ford Site – A Legacy and Opportunity


Ford Motor Company has been an important part of the Twin Cities since 1912, when 100 workers began assembling Mode- Ts in an old warehouse in Minneapolis. In 1925, the Twin Cities Assembly Plant, located in the east bank of the Mississippi River in Saint Paul, opened. By 1937, the plant produced its one-millionth vehicle.
With the site currently under demolition, soon to become one of the most significant redevelopment opportunities in Saint Paul’s history, we’re taking a look at the assembly plant
through the years.
*All photos courtesy of the Ford Motor Company Archives


In 1969, an 85,000 square foot expansion with a new final assembly line and new façade opened.


*Ford Motor Company Archives



On its 65th anniversary in 1990, the Twin Cities plant produced the six-millionth Ford vehicle built in Minnesota. After 86 years of operation, the plant closed in December of 2011.


*Ford Motor Company Archives



Since then, Ford has been working on the decommissioning of the site and on June 10, 2013 began major demolition of the plant buildings. Demolition and site clean-up will take up to two years. After that, Ford will be marketing the site to master developers.



*Ford Motor Company Archives

 
The goal is for this area to become a model for sustainable and urban design which integrates jobs, housing, commerce and green space while managing to fit into the already established Highland Park neighborhood. For more information and monthly project updates visit www.stpaul.gov/ford.

*Ford Motor Company Archives

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.